Revision [4220]

Last edited on 2009-11-26 02:14:49 by SampsaRydman
Additions:
//Source: Chris Seeman, Other Hands//


Revision [2886]

Edited on 2009-03-24 13:25:00 by SampsaRydman
Additions:
{{nocomments}}


Revision [1040]

Edited on 2007-10-25 15:22:30 by SampsaRydman
Additions:
The other Covenant Stone was brought to Middle-Earth by Ar-Pharazôn, last king of the Westernesse, when he came to [[Umbar]] to challenge the might of Sauron. Ar-Pharazôn purposed to constrain his opponent to swear an oath of fealty. On the highest hill of the headland above the Haven Ar-Pharazôn caused a great white pillar to be built as a monument, and it was crowned with the Covenant Stone that took the rays of the Sun and of the Moon and shone like a bright star that could be seen in clear weather even on the coasts of Gondor or far out upon the western sea.
It was on the basis of these oaths that the lords of Umbar were able to maintain Southron support against the Gondorian investment of [[Umbar]] by King Eärnil and his successors for over a century of protracted war. When Ciryaher utterly destroyed this alliance in 1050 and became //Hyarmendacil// the South-Victor, he had to co-opt the central symbol of that alliance in order to ensure that all future political relations would be controlled by Gondor. It was Hyarmendacil who resumed the Númenórean tradition of patronage towards the kingdoms of the Harad as a guarantee of tribute. This he did by holding the sons of these kings "hostage" in the court of Osgiliath, and by forcing their fathers to swear allegiance and friendship to the line of Anárion before the pillar of Ar-Pharazôn. The tributary system of "homage" to Númenor was thereby re-established by recourse to a sacred relic of that system.
//Tarma Tar-Calion//, as the monument was called in Noldorin language, stood and guided all ships of Gondor, and later, the rebel dúnadan lords of Umbar, for many centuries. Dúnedain regarged it as one of the marvels of the world, the others being the Gates of Argonath, Dome of the Stars in Osgiliath (destoyed in the Kin-Strife), Walls of Minas Anor, Watchtower of Amon Sûl, the Sea-Ward tower in Lond Ernil and the Halls of the Faithful in Pelargir (destoyed by and earthquake in 1450). It was around the 20th century when Sauron's power over the Haradrim kingdoms had grown great enough to create new forms of internal political stability. Alliance of Southron nations overrun Umbar and the memorial of Sauron's humiliation was thrown down. It was this decisive act which led the kings of [[Gondor]] and Arnor to realize for the first time that "a single will and power sought the destruction of the survivors of Númenor."
Deletions:
The other Covenant Stone was brought to Middle-Earth by Ar-Pharazôn, last king of the Westernesse, when he came to [[Umbar]] to challenge the might of Sauron. Ar-Pharazôn purposed to constrain his opponent to swear an oath of fealty. It is written in the Akallabêth: "For seven days he journeyed with banner and trumpet, and he came to a hill, and he went up and set there his pavilion and his throne; and he sat him down in the midst of the land....Then he sent forth heralds, and he commanded Sauron to come before him and swear to him fealty". Ar-Pharazôn caused the crystal globe to be set in the ground before his throne.
It was on the basis of these oaths that the lords of Umbar were able to maintain Southron support against the Gondorian investment of [[Umbar]] by King Eärnil and his successors for over a century of protracted war. When Ciryaher utterly destroyed this alliance in 1050 and became //Hyarmendacil// the South-Victor, he had to co-opt the central symbol of that alliance in order to ensure that all future political relations would be controlled by Gondor. Therefore, he ordered the globe removed from its hill "in the midst of the land" and brought to [[Umbar]], where he caused it to be set atop a pillar commemorating Sauron's (and, now, Haradwaith's) submission to Dúnadan power.
It was Hyarmendacil who resumed the Númenórean tradition of patronage towards the kingdoms of the Harad as a guarantee of tribute. This he did by holding the sons of these kings "hostage" in the court of Osgiliath, and by forcing their fathers to swear allegiance and friendship to the line of Anárion before the pillar. The tributary system of "homage" to Númenor was thereby re-established by recourse to a sacred relic of that system.
//Tarma Tar-Calion//, as the monument was called in Noldorin language, was built from the finest marble and granite. When the Covenant Stone was placed in its position, it took the rays of the Sun and the Moon and shone like a bright star that could be seen in clear weather even on the coasts of Gondor or far out upon the western sea.
So it stood and guided all ships of Gondor, and later, the rebel dúnadan lords of Umbar. Dúnedain regarged it as one of the marvels of the world, the others being the Gates of Argonath, Dome of the Stars in Osgiliath (destoyed in the Kin-Strife), Walls of Minas Anor, Watchtower of Amon Sûl, the Sea-Ward tower in Lond Ernil and the Halls of the Faithful in Pelargir (destoyed by and earthquake in 1450).
It was around the 20th century when Sauron's power over the Haradrim kingdoms had grown great enough to create new forms of internal political stability. Alliance of Southron nations overrun Umbar and the memorial of Sauron's humiliation was thrown down. It was this decisive act which led the kings of [[Gondor]] and Arnor to realize for the first time that "a single will and power sought the destruction of the survivors of Númenor."


Revision [1039]

Edited on 2007-10-25 15:12:58 by SampsaRydman
Additions:
The stones remained unused in the keeping of the kings at Armenelos for the greater part of the Second Age. But Tar-Palantir, the last //Erûhîni// (Faithful) king, saw in a vision the plight of the Faithful what would follow his death, and summoning Amandil, the Lord of Andúnië, to his presence, the king entrusted one of the stones to the keeping of his family. This was stone that Isildur brought with him to Middle-Earth to compel the King of the Mountains to swear and oath of allegiance to the Dúnedain of [[Gondor]]. Isildur had it installed in the Hill of Erech; after the Oathbreaking the stone's depths grew black and impenetrable by any light.
The other Covenant Stone was brought to Middle-Earth by Ar-Pharazôn, last king of the Westernesse, when he came to [[Umbar]] to challenge the might of Sauron. Ar-Pharazôn purposed to constrain his opponent to swear an oath of fealty. It is written in the Akallabêth: "For seven days he journeyed with banner and trumpet, and he came to a hill, and he went up and set there his pavilion and his throne; and he sat him down in the midst of the land....Then he sent forth heralds, and he commanded Sauron to come before him and swear to him fealty". Ar-Pharazôn caused the crystal globe to be set in the ground before his throne.
It was on the basis of these oaths that the lords of Umbar were able to maintain Southron support against the Gondorian investment of [[Umbar]] by King Eärnil and his successors for over a century of protracted war. When Ciryaher utterly destroyed this alliance in 1050 and became //Hyarmendacil// the South-Victor, he had to co-opt the central symbol of that alliance in order to ensure that all future political relations would be controlled by Gondor. Therefore, he ordered the globe removed from its hill "in the midst of the land" and brought to [[Umbar]], where he caused it to be set atop a pillar commemorating Sauron's (and, now, Haradwaith's) submission to Dúnadan power.
It was around the 20th century when Sauron's power over the Haradrim kingdoms had grown great enough to create new forms of internal political stability. Alliance of Southron nations overrun Umbar and the memorial of Sauron's humiliation was thrown down. It was this decisive act which led the kings of [[Gondor]] and Arnor to realize for the first time that "a single will and power sought the destruction of the survivors of Númenor."
Deletions:
The stones remained unused in the keeping of the kings at Armenelos for the greater part of the Second Age. But Tar-Palantir, the last //Erûhîni// (Faithful) king, saw in a vision the plight of the Faithful what would follow his death, and summoning Amandil, the Lord of Andúnië, to his presence, the king entrusted one of the stones to the keeping of his family. This was stone that Isildur brought with him to Middle-Earth to compel the King of the Mountains to swear and oath of allegiance to the Dúnedain of Gondor. Isildur had it installed in the Hill of Erech; after the Oathbreaking the stone's depths grew black and impenetrable by any light.
The other Covenant Stone was brought to Middle-Earth by Ar-Pharazôn, last king of the Westernesse, when he came to Umbar to challenge the might of Sauron. Ar-Pharazôn purposed to constrain his opponent to swear an oath of fealty. It is written in the Akallabêth: "For seven days he journeyed with banner and trumpet, and he came to a hill, and he went up and set there his pavilion and his throne; and he sat him down in the midst of the land....Then he sent forth heralds, and he commanded Sauron to come before him and swear to him fealty". Ar-Pharazôn caused the crystal globe to be set in the ground before his throne.
It was on the basis of these oaths that the lords of Umbar were able to maintain Southron support against the Gondorian investment of Umbar by King Eärnil and his successors for over a century of protracted war. When Ciryaher utterly destroyed this alliance in 1050 and became //Hyarmendacil// the South-Victor, he had to co-opt the central symbol of that alliance in order to ensure that all future political relations would be controlled by Gondor. Therefore, he ordered the globe removed from its hill "in the midst of the land" and brought to Umbar, where he caused it to be set atop a pillar commemorating Sauron's (and, now, Haradwaith's) submission to Dúnadan power.
It was around the 20th century when Sauron's power over the Haradrim kingdoms had grown great enough to create new forms of internal political stability. Alliance of Southron nations overrun Umbar and the memorial of Sauron's humiliation was thrown down. It was this decisive act which led the kings of Gondor and Arnor to realize for the first time that "a single will and power sought the destruction of the survivors of Númenor."


Revision [1038]

The oldest known version of this page was created on 2007-10-25 14:53:04 by SampsaRydman
Valid XHTML :: Valid CSS: :: Powered by WikkaWiki