Revision [2185]

This is an old revision of Pelargir made by SampsaRydman on 2008-05-15 00:44:17.

 

Pelargir
Garth of Royal Ships
 (image: http://wiki.lindefirion.net/images/PelargirAnniColourMap.jpg)
Population
800 T.A. 35 000
1200 T.A. 100 000
1400 T.A. 180 000
1450 T.A. 150 000
1600 T.A. 90 000
1650 T.A. 50 000
1810 T.A. 68 000
1944 T.A. 55 000
Location

Pelargir


The Haven of Pelargir (Garth of Royal Ships) is by far the oldest permanent settlement of Men in Gondor. Like its sister city, Umbar, it was founded by men of Westernesse in the mists of Second Age. Together they have a long and irreconcilable history of strife, war and contest. Umbar is older, more venerable and strategically situated in the nexus of southern trade lines; a former bastion of King's Men (Ad. Arûwânai). Pelargir, on the other hand, is her stronger and more populous little sister, mother colony of the Faithful (Elendili, ad. Nîmruziri). When both havens have been ruled by common dynasty (like 933-1448), overt war has been substituted by fierce economic competition.

xxx


After long and glorious history, bad times have fallen on Pelargir. Her proud fleet was nearly scuttled when umbareans took and pillaged the haven in 1634; two years later came the Black Plague. Pyres of rotten cadavers still occasionally stench her ill-lit streets. Pelargir is more indigent, decayed and weaker than for centuries. Unemployed mobs loiter in the rows and alleys, and common criminals have joined hands with the body politic to form a nefarious mafia-like organization called Côr Morchaint (S. Shadowy Circle"), which holds absolute power in the city.

It 1652 T.A., Pelargir is still the oldest and most populous city of southern Gondor with her fifty thousand inhabitants. Once Pelargir could boast with nearly two hundred thousand people living by her walls at the height of Gondor's prosperity, until the death of Castamir. Its splendid númenorean architecture and mercantile power can be compared to that of byzantine Constantinople. Haven's númenorean heritage can be observed in its myriad archways, colums, cupolas and domed towers. Tallest and oldest example is the towering Barad Aerhir, Halls of the Sea-Lords, located at the center of Pelargir. Now many ancient buildings stand in ruin, like silent witnesses of Greater Times long bygone.

As a major manufacturing center Pelargir exports finished goods, tools, furniture, clothing and jewelry. It imports wine and breadstuffs from Lebennin, wood, stone and iron ore from Ered Nimrais, tin, grain, wool, furs, beads and walrus bone from Eriador, and wine, oil, silk and ivory from Harad. As southern sea-trade is now in the hands of Umbar and caravan road to distant Spice Lands of Chey are precarious at best, prices of luxury items keep escalating year after year.

Original settlement was built on a triangular limestone island at the confluence of rivers Anduin and Sirith. Behind the island (which is now the Quarter of the Faithful) lay the waters of the garth, a protective enclosure ringed by quays and ramparts that served the Royal Fleet. Access to the garth could be blocked by huge iron chains. The harborworks themselves extended into three independent towns. Pharazôn's Moat constructed late in Second Age separated the northeastward-facing quarters from the land, turning them into artificial islands.




There are no comments on this page.
Valid XHTML :: Valid CSS: :: Powered by WikkaWiki