Linhir
Township of the Three Mermaids
Linhir at Fall
Linhir and river Gilrain at fall, before Jester's Fair

Mermaid
The Lady of Gilrain
Population
800 T.A. 5 000
1200 T.A. 7 000
1450 T.A. 8 000
1600 T.A. 6 000
1650 T.A. 4 000
1810 T.A. 6 000
1944 T.A. 6 500
Places in Linhir

MAP LEGEND

  Government
  Guildhouse
  Warehouse
  Industrial
  Traders
  Artisans
  Inns & Lodging
  Entertainment
  Manors
  Residential


 (image: http://wiki.lindefirion.net/images/LinhirVaakunaPieni.png)

Linhir


Linhir ("Fair stream") is the second largest urban settlement in Lebennin situated at the confluence of the rivers Serni and Gilrain, about twelve miles from the point there their estuary empties into the Bay of Belfalas, and also the name of the river. It is the principal gateway between Lebennin and Belfalas. No town between Pelargir and Lond Ernil is larger or more important as a center of Gondorian commerce and politics, for virtually all landward trade entering or leaving eastern Belfalas passes through its gates.

Politics and history

Main article: History of Linhir

Township of Linhir is part of Hîrdom of Gilrain, ruled by absentee lord Argirion Dudhrandir. It has been called "a city in miniature" by captain Ormond.

The Layout of Linhir


Linhir is primarily known as a haven for shipping, but it also serves as a center of culture, manufacturing, and overland commerce. Its growth is tied to all these functions, and its plan illustrates its varied character. Four distinct quarters divide the town, giving it an urban flavour that belies its small size. In addition to a busy haven in the dock quarter along the river, Linhir contains a well-kept town center, a mill district, and an outer market area. Each quarter is well-delineated and source of fierce mirco-national patriotism for their inhabitants.

A moat and wall surround the town, built during the Kin-strife and then reinforced many times against Corsair raiding. Most of the streets are narrow, cobbled troughs, but eight are wide enough to permit passing horse-drawn carriages. Five of these avenues run across the town, while three roughly parallel the axis.

The Mill District

The northernmost section runs along a very swift, narrow section of the river, just above the point where the watercourse widens and spills over the rocky shelf that forms the bed beneath the Gilrain Fords. Seven mills tower over the dark streets of this quarter, which also accommodates the granaries and small row houses of the mill-workers. Three of the mills grind the oats, rye and new wheat brought to Linhir from neighbouring farms, a fourth cuts timber, and the fifth mill produces stone blocks. The Lord's mint occupies the sixth structure, while the seventh contains huge looms which produce everything from unfinished cloth to notable tapestries.

The Town Centre

South of the Mill District is the Town Centre. Graced with two piazzas, a park, and a host of white-washed stone houses, this quarter contains a rich offering of select shops. Wealthy merchants reside in the traditional town villas behind the walled gardens that line the area's three main avenues. Gilrain Court is the focal point of the Town Centre. This small but pleasant, rectangular plaza stretches northeastward from the Rathon Gondor, the artery that separates the Town centre from the Port. Surrounded by a splendid colonnade of pointed arches and peach trees, it functions as both an outdoor assembly area and a central market. Artisans peddle their fine goods here on the first, third, and sixth days of each week, alongside visiting merchants who trade in expensive wares brought up from the Port. Most items, including food, however, are sold daily amidst the rowdy atmosphere of Manor Square, in the Outer Market quarter.

The Outer Market

Manor Square sits astride the Rathon Gondor and lies just inside the Belfalas Gate. Its vague star-shape is attributed to the fact that its foundations correspond to the wall line of an ancient Númenórean garden. Traces of Númenórean ruins are still visible in the masonry of the local buildings. A warren of winding, residential streets and small piazzas cover the rest of the Outer Market quarter. Aside from the Manor Square area, this is Linhir's quietest section, and its sprinkling of shops and numerous pushcart merchants generally close at an early hour. Only the inns near the Port District show any enduring life after the twilight.

The Port District

The Port District borders both the Outer Market and Town Centre. Linhir's largest district, it contains southern Gondor's fourth-largest dock area, ranking after those of Pelargir, Osgiliath and Lond Ernil respectively. Rows of stone quays line the busy riverside, and the town's great wooden docks extend well out into the Gilrain. The fords, coupled with the fact that above Linhir the channel is unnavigable, make the spot an ideal site for a harbour community. Situated on the Rathon Gondor, and with the Bay of Belfalas close by, Linhir enjoys a sheltered anchorage with easy access to southern Gondor's main land and sea routes.

The bustling Port District exemplifies the town's role as the gateway of southern Gondor. Ships from Eriador, Harad, and other havens of southern Gondor all pay frequent calls, providing an ever-changing mixture of foreign seamen. The plethora of tongues enriches the life of the locals and gives the harbour side a cosmopolitan flavour. Tavern life is unceasingly brisk and exciting, and innkeepers take comfort in their steady trade. Even in winter, most of the guest lodgings are open for business and rather busy.

It is hardly surprising that the port quarter has a crowded, chaotic plan. The winding streets, while not as narrow as those in the Mill District, are considerably less inviting than the roads and lanes of the Town Centre or Outer Market, making it evident that the quarter's growth proceeded without regard to any scheme. The only apparent order is around the docks themselves, for the sizes, locations, and designs of buildings seem haphazard and, in some cases, ludicrous. Small one or two-story inns crafted out of wood are sandwiched between tall, narrow, stone warehouses. Twisting alleys occasionally lead to large, secluded squares graced by opulent row houses, while larger streets often take travellers to dark dead ends. It is an unpredictable quarter promising both danger and entertainment.

The Crossings of the Rivers

Iant Linhir, the seven-arched stone bridge is the only dry route across the lower portion of the river Gilrain, aside the ferry point that serves heavier transports. It is built on the southernmost of the pair of fords. Four tall towers guard traffic along the river and Rathon Gondor. The 15-foot-wide, 350-foot long bridge has seven oak sections and the Toll-Castle, which sits on a structure composed of pointed arch vaulting. Carefully carved and lacquered panels, inlaid with painted friezes, provide bright decoration. The panels and the elaborate detais of the Toll-Castle's stonework reflects the builders' reverence for what is nothing less than a marvel of Gondorian engineering.

In the times of peace, soldiers oversee proper tax collection, for the Toll-Castle also functions as Linhir's customs station. Tolls vary according to user, declared purpose, and mode of travel. Citizens of the Township pay no duties upon entry, while others pay a copper piece for every person, beast or wheel in their party - although merchants with a sealed "right of way" also escape any tariff. Half the toll goes to the Council of Linhir, a quarter to the Condir of Linhir, and the other quarter to the King.

* = Quality level
@ = Price level

Places


Food, accommodation and entertainment
  1. Inn of the Broken Lute. Lame old veteran of Corsair wars, Belebragol, is the proprietor of this overpriced inn, reputedly the haunt of Linhir's more unsavory and less than honest residents, as it is always frequented by travellers coming or going along Rathon Gondor. **@@@
  2. The Odd House & Old Gate Guesthouse. This three-story house, once a sanatorium for the insane younger sister of the third prince of Dor-en-Ernil, is now a tavern by Eldanon Sarn. Private guest chambers are located on the third floor, reputedly only for friends of the taciturn owner. Smaller but more cozy Old Gate Guesthouse in the same block offers lodging and hearty rural meals at very acceptable prices. ***@@
  3. The Sword & Shield. Proprietor of this somewhat expensive tavern and inn is Uldros Sarn, brother of Eldanon Sarn. It is also a front for criminal activites.
  4. Rye-pool Inn. Stable, barn and inn for travellers coming from Dor-en-Ernil or northern Lebennin. Cellar taproom for the enthusiasts of malt beer; Ryepool's ale has achieved notable success even outside Linhir. Innkeeper Uinarion and his mother Moruthiel run the place efficiently. ***@@
  5. Killerwhale Inn. Always full of seamen. **@@
  6. Pastisserie Golasgil & Guesthouse. Best cakes and pastry in whole of Linhir. Two extra rooms upstars are rented for travelers. ***@@@@
  7. Bath-House of Goldenberry & Three Crowns Restaurant. Sumptuous Bath-house with special lodging available for visiting captains (with or without girls). Three Crowns is a haunt of sailors and traders.
  8. Headless Virgin. A restaurant and inn usually frequented by foreigners. Located in the Street of Moneylenders. There are four score minor winehouses and other joints in the area. *@
  9. Southern Cross. Four-story townhouse converted into a popular tavern, restaurant and club. Both haradan and lebenninin cuisine; owned by Ormond of Raudfêrn **@@
  10. Goldbass Restaurant & the Merryweather Guild. Restaurant and private club for the wealthy.

Guildhalls
  1. Merchant's Guildhall.
  2. Weaver's and Tailor's Guild.
  3. Mason's Guildhall.
  4. Woodwrights Guild.
  5. Fishermen's Hall.
  6. Stevedore's Guild.
  7. Coopers' Hall. Here the finest barrels in the district are made.

Great Families


House SeldorienHouse MorvegilHouse CurumoHouse FinwarinHouse BrindalinHouse Gilcudor







House Seldorieni

Head: Forlong Seldorien. Heir: Melmidoc Seldorien. House of Seldorien is the richest of the mercantile families in Linhir. They own fourteen townhouses and thirty warehouses in Linhir, a fleet of ten merchantmen and one privateer carrack, mining enterprises and stone quarries in the White Mountains and estates in the Gilrain Estuary. Currently they possess the magistracy of Linhir and three bought seats in the Council of Gondor by ostensible partners. In 1663 their House bought a three-year warrant for exclusive rights of southern spice trade. Seldorien has also maintained good relations with the dwarves of Durin's Folk.

House Morvegili (of Lebennin)

Head: Alatar Morvegil. Heir: Saeros Morvegil. House Morvegili of Lebennin is an offshoot of the greater and more illustrious family hailing from southern Ithilien. Head of the House, Alatar, is distant cousin of count Túrin Morvegil. Alatar is a member of the Order of Knights, as well as holder of dignity of Condir. Mercantile House of Morvegil is a serious competitor to the Seldoriens in wealth and power. They own four large merchantmen and two small caravels, estates in Dor-en-Ernil and a fish refinery.

House Curumo

Head: Curumo. Heir: none

House Finwarini

Head: Findegil IV Finwarin. Heir: Narundol Finwarin

House Calimiri

Head: Meneldir Calimir. Heir: Brandir Calimir

House Brindalini

Head: Gódhel Brindalin Heir: Filigod Brindalin

House Gilcudori

Head: Valacar Gilcudor Heir: Adan Gilcudor



Valid XHTML :: Valid CSS: :: Powered by WikkaWiki